Director Legal Operations
Location: Santa Fe
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Director Legal Operations Santa Fe , New Mexico Apply Now Share
- share to linkedin
- share to twitter
- share to facebook
- share by email Director, Legal OperationsRole overview &
PurposeWe are seeking a highly motivated, change management
professional to be the Director of Legal Operations, reporting to a
Legal Leadership position. This person will lead the creation of
processes and practices to improve the day-to-day efficiency and
effectiveness of the legal team, facilitate change and control
costs. The Director of Legal Operations will have overall
responsibility for department operations, including project
management and planning; legal technology; financial management;
transactional services center and external provider management;
Legal KPIs and data management.Key Relationships
- Reports to: Legal Leadership Position
- Direct reports: Members of the Legal Operations Team
- Other key relationships: Legal Leadership Team; Finance;
Technology; HRKey Responsibilities
- Overall responsibility for Legal Operations team, team's
performance, and developing Legal Operations disciplines within the
department including: financial performance, technology, reporting
and analytics, contract management, outside provider management,
project & process management.
- Handle with Legal Technologies, tools integration, AI, Contract
Lifecycle Management, Legal Requests tools, internal clients
- Provide monthly Legal Data reports and manage with legal KPIs
to track the department performance.
- Work with the Legal Leadership Team to find synergies across
the department to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Communicate with CLO orany other Legal Leadership position to
keep him/her apprised of all operational issues within the
- Design, plan, and implement business strategies, plans, and
procedures for the department
- Overall responsibility for department budget including Annual
Operating Plan and long term financial plans. Manage the overall
Legal Department budget and Legal Operations team budget consistent
with Group Finance targets.
- Manage all department shared service operations
- Manage relationships with other Enabling Function leads (e.g.
HR, Finance, GCAM)Specific tasks include:
- Establish programs, procedures, and operational capabilities to
execute department strategy.
- Lead department financial management including setting annual
operating plan, strategic financial plans, and establishing
protocols to facilitate department meetings its financial
- Execute and continually evolve technology roadmap for
- Develop, maintain, and lead outside counsel alternative legal
service provider management program with senior Group
- Create department and functional area analytics and dashboards
for department management.
- Maintain and deploy project management and process improvement
capabilities across the department.
- In conjunction with HR develop and maintain an internal
resource management program.Outcomes
- Lead all operational aspects of the Legal department.
- Develop, maintain, and continually improve department
operational capabilities and expertise to drive operational
excellence within the department.
- Assist in ensuring the effectiveness of the legal function and
consistency of legal advice and processes globallyRequirements
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent required. Master's of
business administration, law degree, PMP and other project/
technology certifications a plus. At least 3 years experience with
legal project operations and management within a company or law
- The demonstrated ability to engage and influence across
- Demonstrated experience in process improvements and
efficiencies in work flows in the legal context
- Demonstrated experience in using technology and data to improve
group performance. Specifically, strong experience in developing,
implementing and using legal department technology solutions, such
as Onit, e-billing and matter management, and stays current on the
most up-to-date technology in the legal field like systems
integration, AI, etc.
- Prior experience developing and implementing playbooks and
knowledge management policies
- Demonstrable EQ, able to work and partner effectively within a
matrix organization, with an understanding and sensitivity of
cultural and jurisdictional nuances.
- High levels of engagement and leadership. Excellent diplomacy,
business judgment and communication skills, including the ability
to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of the
- Strong advocacy and negotiation skills. Able to engender trust,
respect and confidence.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams, to take a
leadership role in driving solutions, and to work under pressure to
meet short deadlines.
- Able to delegate and provide work direction, coaching,
performance feedback, and final review/ approval for the work of
paralegals, junior attorneys, and mid-level attorneys.
- Skilled at managing large, complex legal projects and adapting
to changing environments.
- Ability to function autonomously yet understanding of the need
to advise management of work progress and unusual situations.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes.
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
- Willing and able to travel as needed on Group or Legal Function
- Strong financial expertise and experience, including financial
management, planning, and budgets within a large multinational
- Substantial strategic planning and execution expertise.
- Ability to develop, implement, and manage shared services
operations utilizing internal and external resources.
- Substantial expertise related to technology for Legal
departments and the ability to develop and execute technology
roadmaps for the department.
- Significant legal operations expertise including strategic
planning and operations leadership, project management, technology,
metrics and analysis, outside provider management, financial
management, and internal resource management.
- Depending of the nature of the role, more or less focus will be
given to each of these.Learning is the most powerful force for
change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our
products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards
a common purpose - to help everyone achieve their potential through
learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and
learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications
that help people build their skills and grow with the world around
them. We are the world's leading learning company. Learn more at
pearsonplc.com.Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes,
so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racistcompany in
everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a
strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences
are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and
respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching
their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that
diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and
vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are
committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent
can learn, grow, and thrive. To learn more about Pearson's
commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a
member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that
represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The
more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment
is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national
origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other
group protected by law.Job: LEGALOrganization: Corporate
LegalSchedule: FULL_TIMEReq ID: 4437
Keywords: Pearson, Santa Fe , Director Legal Operations, Executive , Santa Fe, New Mexico
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!